Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Too Close to the Edge

I like the story of the little boy who fell out of bed. When his Mom asked him what happened, he answered, " I don't know. I guess I stayed too close to where I got in." It is easy to do the same with our faith. It is tempting just to stay where we got in and never move. Yet, that would seem to be a bit risky. I find that those in this position discover that their prayer life is not intentional. All at once they realize that their participation in the life of the church is marginal and that they do not know the joy of sharing their gifts in a regular and intentional way. They are in danger of falling from faithful living. One of the challenges of my ministry is to help folks like this to move to the center where they can explore...even toss and turn at times...and to claim their faith without falling off the edge. Some days this is exciting and other days this is frustrating. Lead us all into a place of trusting and living in your Word, O God.

No comments: