Sunday, November 27, 2005

Advent

Today the journey through Advent begins. The voice of John the Baptist echoes the Prophet Isaiah, "Prepare the way; make straight the path." The invitation to take the first steps was there on the screen when I opened by e-mail this morning. The seasonal devotion from Upper Room was posted. It seemed to say wake up and get started. Although I had planned for this for months, helped decorate the church, written a prayer for today's worship, and prepared a confirmation lesson on Advent, I was not ready to let go of what is and to discover once again what the walk toward the manger will mean to me this year. As this first day comes to an end, a sense of expectancy is beginning to seep into my soul as I ponder and reflect on the road to be taken. As a sojourner in faith, I know that I never travel alone. For the promise is that God is among us, God is with us, God is for us.

Note: Information about subscribing to the seasonal devotion from Upper Room is near the bottom of their page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the 38th year that I have made the Advnet jounrey in one form or another. It is differnt this year. Last night, as the first Sunday of Advent came to a close and the light faded from the washed out sky, my daughter lay in my lap, drowsy and warm from her bottle and bath. I held her close to my heart adn looked at her chubby hands and serene brow and my heart ached for the things she will learn about heartache and dissappointment and grief. Later, as we had dinner, she laughed with us, and we told her about Jesus. Looking at her, I have never needed Jesus so much. Scarlett