Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sign Language

When I was at Lutheran Seminary I would spend many hours a week intellectualizing God often to the point of losing the experience of faith. However, one semester I took a sign language class. Although I thought that this would be to help others to know God, I learned that it stirred feelings and thoughts that allowed me to experience God in a most meaningful way. The religious signs are iconic. That is, they resemble some aspect or character or the object they represent. An example would be one of the signs for Jesus is pointing to the palm of the hands for the nails. All at once there is an understanding that transcends the moment. This is the faith that I am called to share with others. And, to worship as the hearing impaired, I must keep my eyes wide open and fixed on others. It is only when I see the signs that I know how to lead a faithful life. I often think that this was one of the more valuable classes that I had at LTSS.

No comments: