Saturday, November 04, 2006

Vote on Tuesday

Because I will be at a Board of Ministry meeting on Tuesday, I voted this past week. I thought that I was prepared, but discovered that I really didn't know all the issues that are on this year's ballot. There is no substitute for being informed on a regular basis and not waiting to the last minute to be educated. Therefore, I encourage others to do their homework before voting.

Jim Wallis of Sojourners reminds us that "Christians have a moral and civic responsibility to participate in the political life of society. " A recent posting lists some of the ethics and values that we need to consider in making our decisions. Instead of a narrow focus on certain issues, it is a set of principles that can give allow us to discern our choices. I believe that this focus on human rights and issues of justice provides a Christian foundation for informed voting.

No comments: