Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving Recovery

Feeling like that I had abused my body by over eating and under exercising during the past week, I returned to the gym this morning. Of course, I was not alone in these thoughts as evidenced by the number of persons huffing and puffing through their exercise routines. I looked around and realized that these folks have become important to me over the past two years. In many cases, we know each other only by first names. Yet, when one is missing we are concerned. We encourage one another and give advice. We hold one another accountable.

Of course, I wonder about the stories of the young and the old, the physically fit and the struggling, the newcomers and the oldtimers at Pepper Geddings. I applaud the father and teenage son that share this time together many mornings, the friends that walk the track, the husbands and wives that exercise regularly and the individuals who are dedicated to taking care of their bodies. Physical fitness seems to be a product of a caring community. I hope this community can help me survive Christmas!

P.S. - I miss you, Manny!

No comments: