Thursday, November 30, 2006

Interruptions

The experts (and my husband) give grand advice about how to organize oneself so as not to be distracted by surprises and interruptions. However, I have never understood how one can avoid life. As often stated, “Life is what happens while you’re making other plans.” I often think about how Henri Nouwen, in his book Reaching Out, quoted a friend as saying, “My whole life I have been complaining that my work was constantly interrupted, until I discovered that my interruptions were my work.” It is often in these interruptions that make me ponder my priorities and challenge me to live into my ministry in what are often surprising ways. Of course, as I set the nativity pieces in their place, I remember that Jesus was an interruption to many folks. Jesus came – and comes - in surprising ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the quote about interruptions being one's work. I need to crosstitch that and hang it right in front of me most days.