Saturday, November 11, 2006

Killingsworth Home

For the past 14 years, a major fundraiser for Killingswoth Home has been a fashion show. Known for its ministry with women in transition from chaos to order in their lives, Killingworth claims the hearts of many United Methodist Women across South Carolina. It is an important part of our missional giving and service. So, on Thursday evening 850 persons gathered at Seawell's in Columbia for this year's Fashion Gala. In honor of the 50 year celebration of the ordination of women, the models were clergy women from across the South Carolina Conference. (The Bishop missed the fun as she was in Africa).

A couple of months ago I was invited to be one of the models. This definitely was out of my comfort zone and I tried to decline. However, Diane Moseley can be very persuasive. Finally, she convinced me that I needed to represent the deacons and the women from the Coast. In the following weeks I had many second thoughts about this, but I fulfilled my commitment. I must admit it was fun getting hair and make-up done and putting on some very nice clothes from Parisian. Soon it was time for us to model and most of us were ready to be somewhere else. As I made it to the end of the runway the first time, I couldn't believe what I saw ....a table of woman from Myrtle Beach plus Ron and my daughter-in-law, Shannon. What a wonderful surprise! I was honored to have them present and so glad that they had a good time. They got to understand more about Killingsworth and our connectional ministries. Thank you, Ken, for sponsoring their adventure. Be assured my modeling career is over and I am ready to return to my clergy robe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are gorgeous in your black velvet fur trimmed elegance! A perfect dress for you. I'm so glad that First UMC was there to support you and sorry I missed it! Thank you for allowing your picture to be posted! Jeanne

Anonymous said...

You are glamourous!