Saturday, July 01, 2006

UMCOR

UMCOR has been named by Newsweek as one of the big names in Katrina Relief. This was part of their special "Giving Back" issue that told of people who generously devote themselves to others. See UMC news release about this, also. It was interesting to note that this was published just before Warren Buffett's big announcement about giving billions of dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation so he was not listed in this article.

Both of these stories remind me of the importance of the altruistic spirit that has been so important to this country and how I have been benefited from this. The Carnegie Public Library in my hometown helped open my mind to a world beyond Dick and Jane readers. I remember a dedicated group of persons that fought a fierce political battle to better our local schools. One of those persons was my father. My grandfather was instrumental in establishing 4-H clubs in my community. At one time I directed the Retired Senior Volunteer Program in the Richland/Lexington County area. I meet many persons from 65-90+ years of age who gave hundreds of hours each year to schools and other non-profit organizations. Their efforts
improved the quality of life in their hometowns. They taught me a lot about selfless giving. The list is long when I stop to think about those who I know who could be nominated for "giving back" awards. It is a call to think about my own servanthood.

No comments: