Saturday, July 29, 2006

Middle East War

Like others, I have been attentively watching, hearing and reading the media coverage of the latest war in the Middle East. Remnants of past military encounters litter the scene as new bombs explode destroying the fragile peace that has existed in Lebanon, Palestine and Israel recently. I wonder isn't there a better way to combat terriorism? The violence of Hezbollah and Hamas is to be condemned. Although I affirm Israel’s existence and right to live in peace, I do wonder if the excessive retaliation of Israel that has followed has been necessary. I think it means I don’t really comprehend the complexity of the situation. I do believe that I have to keep trying to understand and remember that there are many Arab Christians in this region, also. Many of them are now in need of humanitarian aid as their homes and livelihoods have been destroyed. Are we not called to hear their voices also as we seek a cease-fire and a solution to this conflict? May our prayers be for courageous and moral leadership as the world community demands peace and justice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A columnist recently raised an agonizingly difficult question: Why is it that approving stem cell research is tantamount to approving murder while the deaths of hundreds of civilians in Lebanon and Israel, including dozens of children, are justified as the birthing pains of democracy in the Middle East? I, too, recognize that the issues are extremely complex and beyond my comprehension, but how can we be so selective when deciding to take the moral high ground? When is a cease-fire ever wrong? Even if subsequent peace efforts are unsuccessful, it just doesn't make sense to permit the senseless killing of innocent people in the furtherance of some political or idealogical master strategy. Without a cease-fire it is not even possible to provide humanitarian aid. The 48-hour bombing halt announced today is a start, but I pray for some kind of epiphany for the world leaders that will bring them to a realization that what is happening is both insanity and futility.

Anonymous said...

The bombing halt is over. I am hesitant to watch the news or listen or read because I do not know how many more images of violence against innocent people I can stand. I access the internet and there it is in black and white with photographs clear and in color and my prayers are so repetitive they even get on my nerves.