Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Pantomine Lifes

L. Gregory Jones, Dean of Duke Divinity School, recently wrote in Christian Century about the life of pantomine that many of us live. His antidote is cultivating holy friends that can hold us accountable and help us discern God's work in our lives. He maintains that "the challenges and affirmations from holy friends cause our world to enlarge again, and they call us to dream God's dreams in new ways that give life and offer hope to others." His thoughts have encouraged me to try to be more intentional about nurturing holy friendships.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article, and almost frightening in its accuracy. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to have a wife who is also a "holy friend". She has helped me to see possibilities for my life and also affirmed gifts that I was afraid to claim. She has also loved me enough to hold up the mirror to my less attractive side. There are sins I have tried to hide from others and even deny myself, but she does not let me get away with that. While that kind of Christian love can and frequently does cause tension or worse, in the long run it is both uplifting and empowering. I thank God that I am married to someone who loves me enough to be a holy friend.

Thank you for referring me to the article. I have great respect and admiration for L. Gregory Jones. Because of the two of you, I now see and appreciate my wife from a whole new perspective.