Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Christian Home

And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Once again I realize that it is in the Christian home that significant spiritual growth occurs. Parents are children's most important models for discipleship. Therefore, it is important to:
- talk with your children about what is going on in their lives and yours,
- question and wonder together about God's world and how to live as followers of Christ,
- pray with your children and worship together,
- reclaim Sabbath by observing times of relaxation as a family,
- read and tell stories of the faith to your children,
- find ways as a family to care for and minister to others, and
- remember children will grow in faith if adults are investing in their own spirituality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have begun praying with Samantha when I rock her before she goes to bed at night. Sometimes I think that in her newness, she knows more of God than I do, having so recently left God's Presence. I read the other day, by the way, that prayer is presence meeting Presence. That's soemthing to think about. Scarlett