Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ironing

Ironing is probably at the top of my list of least enjoyed domestic chores. Maybe it is because I am part of a generation that still had to put that on our weekly schedule in the past. I ironed six white shirts each week for Ron and other items for me for many years. (It is with great joy that I know that my sons do most of their own ironing.) Although it is now an occasional activity for me, I still have certain standards. Linen blouses and tablecloths must be dampened, put in a plastic bag and placed in the refrigerator for at least several hours. Then sprayed with a liberal amount of starch, I iron each item carefully. I have come to realize that there is satisfaction in participating in a ritual that produces a crisp, wrinkle-free item or garment.

Rituals are times of focus. For me, as I iron a garment, I try to achieve perfection by making sure there is not a wrinkle to be seen. Realizing that this won’t happen without careful preparation, I give intentional thought to this process. I remember days gone by when I practiced this skill as a young girl by ironing dishtowels and pillowcases. It becomes apparent that when we include rituals in our lives we enjoy a sense of comfort and security. We celebrate who we are and understand how important rituals are to our identity. So it is as we claim our Christian faith. What rituals do we need to include in our lives as we seek greater understanding of our discipleship?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ironing has always been a significant ritual for me as i work things out in my mind while I work out the wrinles adn creases. It is soothing to me...
SOmetimes I wish our litugical rituals were more kinesthetic. At the same time, I am impatient with rituals that are touchy feely for the sake of being differnt.
What about a ritual in which we bring our ironing and pray for thsoe who will wear the clothes and work out our lives together? It would be a logistical nightmare, but it would probably do some soul good.

Anonymous said...

Please post an explanation for dampening, bagging and refrigerating the linen for us guys who do our own ironing but entertain so seldom without paper plates! Tom

Anonymous said...

Yes, it sounds like you are an "expert" in ironing! It sounds like you are very careful to make sure all the wrinkles are out! As for me, I like to get the clothes out of the dryer right when it turns off and often you can "skip" ironing! Of course, linens, do need extra attention and you seem to have the art down! I've been behind in reading your blog for a few weeks and enjoyed catching up. The pictures you post always add so much. Thanks for sharing!

Love,
Maria

Anonymous said...

My dad was on an emotional roller coaster the week between being notified of needing a bypass and actually having the surgery. One of the pastors came by one afternoon and anointed him with oil and read the passage from James about this ritual. It was a bit of a life changing experience for my dad. A good ritual for us to incorporate more regularly into our lives. And since it's not a sacrament, we can also practice the priesthood of all believers! Kathy