Monday, September 17, 2007

Watercrunch

Our son, Robert, is a civil engineer who specializes in water projects. His blog, Watercrunch, focuses on water related matters, especially as they associate to environmental issues. Some posts are more interesting to those in the trade. However, yesterday he posted an interview with book author, Cynthia Barnett ,that caught my attention. He quoted her as saying, "I was and remain shocked that some 9,000 children on our planet die every day for lack of access to fresh, clean water." Although I am aware of our global water crisis, this number shocked me, also. Missional water projects take on a more urgent meaning and I want to know more about these initiatives, especially those that the United Methodist Church sponsors. Children, even when they are 37 years old, can lead us into fuller understanding of caring for God's world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a water fountain within 15 feet of where I sit. I pass by it everyday and ignore it most of the time. 9000 children die daily for lack of what I ignore. I am cut to the heart.

Anonymous said...

Mirage: Florida and the Vanishing Water of the Eastern U.S. (Hardcover)
by Cynthia Barnett (Author)

Last time I checked, we lived in the Eastern U.S.
Maybe we had better guard our water fountains.