Saturday, September 22, 2007

Capital Letters

It has been a long time since Mrs. Rutledge taught me basic grammar and writing rules and some of them I have obviously forgotten or have chosen to disregard. However, the trend of using capitalization at whim does irritate me. It's great to find someone of like mind. In the land of blogs, Word Wise, serves as a good refresher course in writing. The current post by Dan Santow addresses this issue by reminding us that only proper nouns are to be capitalized. I like the blog title, "Say No to Capital Punishment." Now I wonder, are such titles put in quotes, underlined or italicized? I will have to search Mr. Santow's blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Titles of books are underlined; titles of articles are put in quotes; according to the MLA style.

Anonymous said...

What about song titles and poems? Should we Footnote and ibid our blog entries? Is public execution still mandatory punishment for a dangling participial modifier? Should we indicate that we are speaking in the vernacular by the selection of an indicative blog identity? Is yada yada yada tantamount to ...?
Do we flog anyone who uses the word "myself" without an antecedent? Do we flog any who uses "myself" period? Can't we all just get along? Can you make an allusion to Rodney King without citing Reginald Denny. Did O.J. have anything to do with this? I am guilty of CAPITALIZING for emphasis in a blog because the keyboard is not my friend. Can't we all just get a "log"?

Anonymous said...

Capitalizing for emphasis IS a friend, as "log" as you're not YELLING!