Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It's Free!

I like to read the NY Times (on-line), especially the op-eds. Several years ago, the management decided that they would put the good stuff behind the pay wall. Knowing my frustration about this turn of events, my son gave me a subscription to Times Select and I was an appreciative mother. Then, as I entered into the blogging world and wanted to share some of the provocative thoughts of Friedman, Kristoff and Dowd, I was limited as I couldn’t link to their editorials. So, it was a great beginning to my day when I received notice that as of today the New York Times no longer charges for access to their on-line version. Their rationale was interesting:

"Since we launched TimesSelect, the Web has evolved into an increasingly open nvironment. Readers find more news in a greater number of places and interact with it in more meaningful ways. This decision enhances the free flow of New York Times reporting and analysis around the world. It will enable everyone, everywhere to read our news and opinion - as well as to share it, link to it and comment on it."


Although when Thomas Jefferson said, "Liberty depends upon a free press," he was speaking about the freedom to write of political issues. I believe that general access to this writing is part of this equation. Today, that means being able to read it on-line.

No comments: