Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Thoughts

Although I don’t usually make New Year’s resolutions, I do think this can be a good time of re-commitment to faithful living. Yet, the news stories of war and genocide, abuse of the Earth, greed and human neglect capture my attention and being obedient seems impossible. Once again, this passage from Micah 6:8 gives me direction:


“He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”

So as I begin 2007 I know this to be important - Live simply, be present to the lonely, love and nurture children, study, learn and work. Also, daily pray for the healing of the nations, for God’s holy presence working through people changed by love and for helping to bring peace.

When I read this, I feel overwhelmed by what it means to be faithful. But, I remember our call to be part of a community of disciples who share its gifts for the powerful witness to the coming of the Kingdom. Together, we can allow the Word to become flesh among us. Thanks be to God.

No comments: