Saturday, January 20, 2007

Learning to Listen

Several years ago I developed a friendship that resulted in me learning the value of listening. My friend's attentiveness to the detail of a conversation and her ability to synthesize the various elements into astute observations is engaging. I attempt to mimic her skills, but find that I have to be very intentional about this art of listening.

I recently read the following comments about listening by Dan Dick of the General Board of Discipleship and thought them to be important to share.

A critically important work for leaders in local congregations is to learn to listen. There is healing in listening. There is connection and community in listening. And there is learning in listening. We may become most effective as communicators, not by what we say, but by our ability to refrain from speaking. Drawing from a wide variety of sources, consider some of the following instructions for learning to listen:

-Make friends with silence. Spend twenty minutes a day in silent reflection and meditation.
-In conversation, silently count to ten before each response.
-In groups, wait until five other people speak before you do.
-When trying to make a point, ask questions rather than making statements.
-When called on to make a decision, ask for a day to "think about it."
-When calling others to decision, offer a time of silence for reflection before acting.
-Have a conversation with someone, then attempt to capture it on paper, writing the other side of the conversation as close to verbatim as possible.
-Pose questions and make space for hearers to offer their own answers first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I struggle with many things, but perhaps none more so than the challenge to be an effective listener. My challenge, likely shared by others, is to take time to listen when what I really want to do is talk and convince the other party or parties of my knowledge or that my position is the correct one. Stephen Covey, in his classic book "Seven Habits for Highly Effective People", gave me the key, and perhaps the paramount, reason for listening (other than the obvious clue from God when God gave us each two ears and only ONE mouth)when he offered as one of the habits to "seek first to understand, then be understood". I don't always remember that sage advice, but, when I do, the quality of communication increases exponentially.

Thank you for referencing Dan Dick. I worked with him when he was a local church pastor in the former Northern New Jersey Annual Conference. I was thrilled when he moved to the GBOD, and I am pleased to claim him as a friend and colleague.

Anonymous said...

I have a dear friend that I have emailed this link to because it reminded me so much of her. She has to be the best listener I have ever met, which is likely one of the reasons she is such an amazing friend and person. It is such a gift.

:) Shannon