Friday, January 26, 2007

More Thomas Merton

For over twenty years when I have set up my calendar for the coming year, I paste this passage from a letter written by Thomas Merton on the inside cover:

Do not depend on the hope of results. When you are doing the sort of work you have taken on, essentially an apostolic work, you may have to face the fact that your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea, you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value, the truth of the work itself. And there, too, a great deal has to be gone through, as gradually you struggle less and less for an idea and more for specific people. The range tends to narrow down, but it gets much more real. In the end, it is the reality of personal relationships that saves everything….The big results are not in your hands or mine, but they suddenly happen, and we can share in them; but there is no point in building our lives on this personal satisfaction, which may be denied us and which after all is not that important.


These words seem to serve as a reminder of the importance of how I assign the hours of my day. They help me focus "on the value, the truth of the work" not the results. How liberating this can be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merton's challenge is a challenge indeed. Whenever I read and study a passage of scripture, I challenge myself to reflect on the meaning of it for me and my church family. Those of us blessed to stand in the pulpit on Sundays know that God has indeed blessed us.

George