Saturday, December 16, 2006

Nativity


In the beginning was a story. This story of God's relationship with us holds many promises. The promise around which all that we believe in calls us to the manger again and again. Whether it is fine porcelain or rough wood, we display a crèche and let it be a focus of our Advent reflection and meditation on the birth of Jesus the Christ.

Over the years I have collected a number of these depictions of the Nativity. Yet, it is the simple olive wood one from the Holy Land that always has a place of honor. Not only is this done in remembrance of the Holy Family, but also as an act of love for two sons. As I ponder my memories of two young boys playing with the figures and enacting the story, I know that God’s promises are real and have been fulfilled again in our family. So, I have made sure that the homes of my grandchildren have crèches that can be handled and loved. May they know this story of God's promises in their lives.

No comments: