Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

For nearly forty years the special peace that surrounds a late Christmas Eve worship service has been very important to me. Tonight our church did not have such a service and although I could have worshipped elsewhere, I chose not to do so. I felt that I had come to terms with the idea of not having this annual experience. However, tonight my soul was weary and in need of the quiet comfort and peace found in the past on Christmas Eve. Also, I think that I never got beyond the thought that we were depriving others of what is often a binding family tradition. Why wasn't I more outspoken when this decision was made? I am still struggling, but I will find joy in Christmas for I know that the promise of God’s love will be fulfilled in unexpected ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the heat of summer, I don't think we ever believed that it would get as far as it did. But I think your grief and soul ache is a great testimony to the power of worship, especially thelitugical rituals, and we are reminded to never take worship lightly.