Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Cards

Well, today I finally mailed our Christmas cards to friends near and far. I don’t know why it took me so long to get this done for I love the whole custom of sending these greetings. It seems to be part of the invitation to make room for Christ in our hearts and lives. As I read the cards and notes, I celebrate the joys, share sorrows and find God’s presence in all of what life brings. Each day since the first card arrived, I take the time to carefully read messages and open my heart and mind to the appropriate responses. Many of the printed verses are written with great understanding and sensitivity to the sacredness of the Advent season. This one keeps lingering in my mind.

Rejoice in the spirit of Christmas which is Peace,
the miracle of Christmas which is Hope,
and the heart of Christmas which is Love.

So, I shared family news with others as I prepared my Christmas cards for mailing. With each one there seemed to be a sense of renewal of an important relationship. In some cases, I chuckled or lamented over memories from our shared past. Of course, I included a picture of our grandchildren. Where have the years gone? What will we write about next year? This pilgrim knows that in the unknown there will be further discovery of God reaching toward us.

No comments: