Friday, September 15, 2006

This and That

Last week's Newsweek and yesterday's Slate offerings questioning the value of homework should be read by parents and teachers. I hope such offerings encourage healthy discussion about this issue. When I see children dragging stuffed book bags to and from school, I have to wonder about all that this means. I do know that more often than not, it incites homework wars and tense family times.

I have enjoyed the news releases this week about the new South Carolina Encyclopedia and have ordered a copy of it. Randy Akers, executive director of The Humanities Council of South Carolina, has been very instrumental in its publication. Through our friendship I know what a major project this has been and congratulate him and all those that have made this happen. What a great resource for the many newcomers to South Carolina as they seek to know more about people, places and events of their new home. After twenty-six years in South Carolina, I still have much to learn.

Life Is Short, So Read This Fast!, the new collection of Ann Ipock's writings, has given me some laughs this past week. I am fascinated by the way Ann sees her world. We all need to be able to see the events in our lives, especially the foibles and missteps, with a sense of humor. Of course, since I work at the church with her husband, Russell, I especially enjoy her accounts of their married life. We laugh at and with Russell at the church, also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Russell taught the Open Fellowship Sunday School class this past Sunday. Great fun!