Saturday, September 23, 2006

In the Moment

On many liturgical calendars we are in the midst of Ordinary Time. This season teaches us in worship the same thing that we may learn from everyday activities - that the ordinary contains the extraordinary. In a culture obsessed with chronos time we often lament that we don't "have enough time." We wrestle with God's timing, kairos. Where do the two intersect? Perhaps it is in the every day when we allow the kingdom to blossom in our midst.

I recently found the following that I had saved from the July/August 1994 Alive Now:

Hallowed be thy Name in Recreation.
God be in my limbs and in my leisure.

Hallowed be thy Name in Government
God be in my plans and in my deciding.

Hallowed be thy Name in Suffering
God be in my pain and in my enduring.

Hallowed be thy Name in Commerce
God be at my desk and in my trading.

Hallowed be thy Name in Home
God be in my heart and in my loving.

Hallowed be thy Name in Education
God be in my mind and in my growing.

Hallowed be thy Name in Industry
God be in my hands and in my making.

Hallowed be thy Name in the Arts
God be in my senses and in my creating.

*From plaques on the walls of Old Coventry Cathedral


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in my eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at my end, and in my departing.
-Sarum Primer, fifteenth century

Rev. Jean said...

We think alike. I used this in one of my first blogs on June 28,2005. Thanks for commenting.

Jean