Sunday, September 24, 2006

Mentors

As I prepared for meeting with our confirmation class mentors this morning, I couldn’t help but think of those persons who have been so important to my faith journey. Each one has respected me, yet challenged me to have a meaningful relationship with God. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, their wisdom and spiritual maturity have helped me know God’s will. What a gift! I need to say thank you to each one of them again. In some cases, this means honoring a memory of a mentor by being a mentor to others along the way.

Mentors can be an important part of the confirmation experience as all of us need spiritual guides. However, it is my responsibility to create a framework that allows this relationship to be a nurturing one. Each year I try to listen and learn how a sacred time and space needs to shaped for this to happen. I think the time spent together this morning was a good beginning. Confirmands and mentors shared interests and entered into a covenant relationship with one another. May our mentors and confirmands be blessed as they journey together.

No comments: