Tuesday, January 31, 2006

UMW Reading Program

I enjoy participating in the UMW Reading Program as it introduces me to a variety of writings about issues that relate to Christian living. These books often provide new thoughts and insights, some with which I agree and some of which I don’t. However, I always feel that I have expanded my horizons by reading them.

I have just finished The Haunt of Grace by Ted Loder. Although this is a collection of sermons, Loder names them "responses to the haunt of grace, the mystery of God's presence in our world and our lives." He interprets Scripture in an imaginative and challenging way. Each response is based on "real life" situations that run head-on into God. In addition to his well phrased words, he weaves into his writing wonderful quotes from a rich variety of sources. I have enjoyed reading his responses one at a time and allowing a period for reflection before reading this next one. The response, "New Rules of Engagement", reminded me of how often we "are reluctant to engage Jesus. We seem to prefer a more abstract, removed God." We are afraid to trust Jesus to save us from our sins and lead us into a new way of life. It is through God's grace we turn toward the light.

No comments: