Friday, January 06, 2006

Literacy Tutoring

Last night I was reminded of one of my formative experiences from the distant past, literacy tutoring. I was in the Wesley Building attending to other matters, when I observed the efforts of the Horry County Literacy Council. About a dozen volunteers were working with 30-40 mostly Hispanic students as they trying to learn English. I am so glad that we offer our underutilized space for this most important work. However, I didn't see any of our members volunteering. Perhaps, we have not publicized this opportunity enough? It does seem that this would be one way we could be in ministry with this new segment of our community. Tutors do not have to speak a foreign language to teach ESL - English as a Second Language.

A number of years ago when we lived in Delaware, I volunteered as a literacy tutor. Some of this was done at a migrant camp in the evening. After 12-14 hour days in the fields, Haitians would meet us in an open shed lighted by a few bare bulbs. I was always impressed by their dedication to learning and their respect for the teachers. I certainly became aware of the issues that migrants faced during those years - the mid '70s - and found that I needed to be a voice for some of them. This kind of sensitizing experience helped me to understand the need to be the hands of Christ by reaching beyond the steeple in specific ministries. Later, I would know this to be part of the role of the deacon.

No comments: