Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Spilled Apples


I recently enjoyed a conversation with Annaka, our granddaughter, about her apple picking experience. Not only was she excited about telling me that she had picked green apples, but also that the wagon had tipped over and all the apples went rolling down the hill. Of course, this had created a tearful time. However, she also wanted me to know that "the people helped me pick up the apples." It seemed to make quite an impression on her that others came to her rescue...strangers along the way. What a teachable moment she experienced through the thoughtfulness of others! May she remember this as she encounters the stranger in need of help. May this be a lesson for me as "spilled apples" cross my path.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not remember who won the World Series or the Super Bowl in years past, but I do remember the folks who helped me when "I spilled my apples!" They are the VIPs to me.

Anonymous said...

Jean,

Barbara and I read your "blog" and enjoyed it very much. The little story about Annaka and the apples was a gem. I beet she is "comfort food" in the Osborne household.

Dick O.

Anonymous said...

What is it about human nature that allows strangers to help someone who has "spilled the apples" put the apples back in the cart, but
disallows friends to help one who has "spilled the Beans" to put the "cat back in the bag"? Do we learn to run "to" apples, "away" from beans and "around" cats?