Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina

With many others, I have been intently following the path of Katrina...her approach, her landfall, her wake. The devastation is beyond comprehension and the recovery efforts needed are unfathomable. Why, God?

Through the centuries, the Psalms have offered insight and comfort. Perhaps these are the only words that we have today.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, thought the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. Psalm 46:1-3

Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. Psalms: 69: 1,2

Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you. Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call. Psalm 102:1,2

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Visit umc.org for the latest information about the United Methodist Church's response to this disaster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These times call for us to demonstrate our faith in terms of our works. We must help the victims
if our faith is to mean anything to us personally.Let us not confuse
the terms of our salvation with call to act on that faith. A show of faith is a leap into action, and a leap of faith is a show of action.