Saturday, August 20, 2005

Seasons

Throughout the ages poets have recorded their perceptions of the various months and seasons. They express the beauty and idiosyncrasies of nature throughout the year. From Robert Frost’s “Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening” to Emily Bronte’s “Fall, Leaves, Fall”, we experience the sights and sounds, the scents, tastes and textures of the seasons. Many of the Psalms praise God’s glory through creation and reveal the seasons of our lives. One example is Psalm 19:1-4:
1The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his
handiwork.
2 Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares
knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not
heard;
4 yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to
the end of the world.

The stillness of winter, the awakening of spring, the burgeoning of summer, and the rich fulfillment of autumn evoke memories that become a fertile ground for reflection and meditation. My personal thoughts of August include: vacations through the years, family weddings and anniversaries, luscious tomatoes and bountiful gardens, fields of corn and soybeans, chirping crickets and twinkling lightning bugs of the evenings, streaks of lightning and rumbling thunder, and the dog day heat that seeps into our very being.

The personal focus of this month is usually today, my birthday. This year I have been attacked by a large case of melancholy for it is my 60th birthday. It seems like a milestone that I am not ready to observe. It only seems like yesterday that my mother was baking my chocolate cake. Now I feel that I am entering a new season of my life. I am not sure that this is as exciting as it used to be. May I have "miles to go before I sleep." God of grace and God of glory, be my guide.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

August 20th is my dad's 85th birthday. He likes to race. His name is John. He said that you were a mere babe. Charline's aunt, Jean, was also born on August 20.
SO Happy Birthday, Jean, Jean and John.

Anonymous said...

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

1. The Road Not Taken


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Because you have chosen the road less travelled, you will always have "miles to go before you sleep".

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry to be delonquent, but I have been away from the computer for a few days. I would be less than honest to suggest my body does not remind me I am to be 65 next month. Things work more slowly and less well. Yet I revel in the awareness that my passion for God and my thirst for spiritual growth have never been stronger. With each passing year, I have felt God's call to discipleship to make a greater claim on my life. It makes one happy to grow old(er)!

Anonymous said...

Amen