Saturday, October 04, 2008

Adult Christian Education

I am in the midst of preparing for several different presentations and as always I am enjoying that process. However, trying to focus on a variety of topics at one time has my head spinning. My mind wanders from one to another in a disjointed manner and I have difficulty feeling prepared for any of them. But, this does lead me to the larger picture of adult Christian education and its importance to the church.

Constant review of what we are doing in adult Christian education seems to be imperative if we want to strengthen our faith in a healthy way. It seems that we should be asking-
-Who is teaching/leading our classes and studies? Who else needs to be part of this ministry?
-What is the curriculum? What is really being taught?
-Why do we offer these opportunities? Why should we be concerned about this?
-When do we have these learning opportunities? When might we have them?
-Where is God in all of this? Where are our deficits?
-How do we make needed changes to fulfill this important responsibility of our congregation?

Of course, I need to be part of this Q&A and have to wonder if I am giving enough attention to these matters. As I attend the National Christian Educator's Fellowship Conference in the near future, I hope not only to gain personal insights, but also ones for First Church, Lots to think about in the days ahead.

No comments: