Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Different Perspective



After a few days in Albuquerque for my Christian Educator’s Fellowship Conference, Ron and I rented a car and headed to points beyond for some vacation time. After looking up at the surrounding mountains for nearly a week, one of our first stops was Sandia Crest, a mile above Albuquerque. What a different perspective! This could be said for much of the conference.

As I walked the streets of Albuquerque, the confluence of Hispanic, American Indian and Anglo cultures was very evident. What was different was that I was in the minority. This is something to think about as we as a nation are experiencing this major culture shift and learning to live into this new national face with peace and justice. As I learn more about New Mexico, I realize the church has been a major contributor to shaping its social history. Sometimes this has been for the better and sometimes not.

The message from worship to workshops at the CEF Conference seemed to be to look at one’s ministry with a different perspective. Native Americans called us to enter into prayer as they shared their own form of prayer in song and dance. We joined our voices in a powerful litany that reflected the Native American vision of the Seventh Generation (decisions made today must consider those of the seventh generation of the future) as we convened. Thinking and acting beyond what makes an impact on me today certainly is a different perspective.

Marjorie Thompson, noted spirituality author and speaker, reminded us as Sabbath workers to take time to be instead of always being concerned about what we are getting done. Bill McKibben, Ron’s environmental hero, forcefully and faithfully challenged us to take care of God’s creation. My workshop experiences examined how we live together in community and often noted that we fail to honor the gifts of those we welcome into our churches. Our main objective seems to be to shape these folks into our personal interpretation of Christianity instead of allowing the church to be strengthened by new gifts. These voices of different perspectives have given me much to ponder in the days ahead.

1 comment:

mbeachRN said...

Glad you enjoyed a conference and are able to have a few days vacation, too! I thought about you today and even called your office (which they said you would be out a few days) to ask about early voting...I found the number for the place to vote early in Conway and voted this afternoon since I work at the hosp. Tues. It's amazing to see the interest in the election this year! I waited in line about 45 min. this afternoon to vote, but I know it's important to do! Will be praying the remainder of your trip is enjoyable and safe. Love, Maria