Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Elderspeak

I didn’t know the term elderspeak, but I have certainly heard it and intuitively known that it was often demeaning. Years ago, when visiting my grandmother in a nursing home, I was appalled at the caregivers using such terms as sweetie and dear and addressing her by her first name. This was not who she was to the rest of the world. As a well-respected person within her community in that era, she was known as Mrs. Owens. She didn’t complain, but I often wondered what she thought of this familiar practice. During my years with the Council of Aging and later in my ministry, I have often encountered elderspeak and still had that sense that it was not appropriate. According to The New York Times, this practice can actually be harmful to our elderly. I hope its message is widely circulated not only among those who care for the elderly, but also throughout our society. Our elderly deserve a sense of respect. It is the healthy thing to do.

2 comments:

mbeachRN said...

Hi Rev. Jean,

As you know, I am a nurse who takes care of many "elderly" and since I am still "young"...most of these people seem like my grandmother or grandfather to me. I care about them very much...and will admit I say words like "dear" to them, but certainly not out of disrespect. I guess I try to "learn" my patients and get a feel for what they are comfortable with. As for their name, I always use the last name unless they suggest otherwise. Your blog has reminded me though to make sure I think about how the patients feel about "elderspeak". I hope you are having a good week ~ Maria

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this a lot as I have roamed the halls of the various hospitals, and I wonder if some (not all) of elder speak has its origins in a desire to comfort and soothe. In the same way a parent coos comforting endearments to a child. It may not be appropriate, but maybe, at times, elderspeak is rooted in compassion.