Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Voted!


Because we will be out of town on Election Day, Ron and I journeyed to Conway yesterday to vote. I always enjoy the opportunity to walk around this historic and picturesque town and have lunch in one of her good restaurants. This time we voted for The Trestle. In this setting it was easy to think about those who have protected our democracy by conscientiously casting their ballot in years gone by. Or, maybe it was because we recently watched John Adams, the wonderful HBO series, that I felt I was fulfilling a mandate given to all US citizens and I wasn’t going to drop the ball.

Our presidential candidates have talked much about the conversation that is happening around the kitchen tables in homes across the country. I hope this serves as a reminder to many families to have these intentional and thoughtful times. Experts on family life indicate that this is happening infrequently and the communication of values and ethics from one generation to the next is lacking. I know that this is the setting in which I learned much about my responsibility to vote. Let’s recall these times for our families and our country.

No comments: