Saturday, September 27, 2008

An Eventful Week

After a week of the unnerving Wall Street disaster and an uneventful presidential debate that went nowhere, I learn that Paul Newman has died. What a news filled week! I may not be able to offer great insight to any of these events, but I can say that I have long admired Paul Newman, the actor and the person, and his passing saddens me. From Butch Cassidy to Fast Eddie and other memorable roles, he provided us some wonderful entertainment through the years. But, in recent years I have had great respect for his humanitarian efforts, also. Not only did he use his fame to bring attention to issues that were important to him (and us), but also he used his resources to support them. Most of us can’t begin to understand the intricacies of our national financial dilemma or comprehend what is really being said in this political season, but we can each name those things that we know to be important to our society and do something about them using whatever resources that we might have. Paul Newman did and so can we. This is probably the most hopeful word of this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He made a mean salad dressing too!

Anonymous said...

Paul Newman was one of the few movie people I respect.