Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Podcasts

Podcasts have become a part of my life. I resisted them for a long time as I thought they were like talk radio which I abhor. However, I have found them to be more like being able to access the best of NPR whenever I want to listen. Ron downloads an assortment of interesting ones from a variety of sources that we have discovered, burns a CD of them and I listen to them as I travel in my car. Leonard Sweet’s Napkin Scribbles is a favorite. Tonight on my way home from one more church meeting, I heard him offer a good retort to those who say they are not being feed. He said, “Put down your fork and put on an apron.” Love it! I doubt that I will ever say that to someone, but maybe I can deliver that message in a more subtle manner.

iTunes is a great source of podcasts, including ConnX produced by SC United Methodist Church. NPR, World of Possibilities, Speaking of Faith are other favorite podcasts. Sometimes I travel vicariously with Rick Steves.

When I see the great number of people walking around with mp3 player headphones in their ears, I have to ask, “How can podcasting become a tool for ministry?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Napkin Scribbles
----------------
is such a great title that it seems perhaps tragic that it was chosen by a broadcast format rather than a written one. It conjures such a strong visual reaction, that I want to "see" more from the website.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I have such negative memories of Len Sweet. His writings and his extraordinary gift for visionary proclamations speak for themselves. Yet his failings when he was Dean of Drew Theological Seminary detract. Had he only confessed, then I would be his biggest fan.

Shalom,
George