Friday, October 19, 2007

The Journey of Discovery

Once again as I enjoy a Disciple I class and the “ah-ha” moments that are part of it, the theme of journey emerges from the scriptures. We identify with the story of Abraham as he “journeyed by stages.” We read of the excitement and misery of the Hebrew people as they sought new life with Moses as their leader. We cherish the story of Ruth who values loyalty to her mother-in-law more than the security of her homeland. We know the familiar story of Mary and Joseph making long and strenuous journey to fulfill the demands of the state.

As we reflect on our personal journeys, we know that it is possible for journeys to affect only the outside of life, while the inner person remains untouched. However, most of us realize that these outer changes often propel us into an often tumultuous inner journey where we are forced to search for hidden strengths. We enter into a confusing and unfamiliar time in which we sometimes feel angry or frustrated. We long for the end of the road. Too often we fail to cherish the journey. I wonder why we are so afraid of the process of discovering new life that offers us the possibility of living more fully and more faithfully? I am glad that once again Disciple Bible Study is giving me the opportunity to intentionally look through the lens of scripture at where my journey is taking me.

No comments: