Saturday, October 20, 2007

New Hymnal

Although I am a pathetic musician, all sorts of music feeds my soul and I understand its importance in the life of the church. I especially know it to be important to the learning and understanding of our theology, so the following United Methodist news release interests me:


"United Methodists are invited to participate in an online survey identifying their 10 favorite hymns to help the United Methodist Publishing House and the United Methodist Board of Discipleship analyze and plan for congregational singing resources and identify changes and trends in musical styles. The selections may come from the United Methodist Hymnal and/or The Faith We Sing. The survey also asks participants to select up to 10 of their least favorite hymns and songs and the titles that should have been included. In addition, participants are asked to respond to five geographic questions. The survey is available at www.gbod.org/favoritehymns.html. For more information, contact Dean McIntyre at (615) 340-7073 or dmcintyre@gbod.org"


I plan to give this some serious thought and respond. I hope that some of you who read this take the time to participate in this survey and maybe even share with me some of your choices. My first thoughts of favorites include "It is Well with My Soul" and "I'll Praise My Make While I've Breath". "What Gift Can We Bring" has wonderful lyrics and I wish that we knew it at First Church. "Majesty" probably tops my list of those not to be included. For some reason that chorus grates on my nerves. Previously, it has seemed that the naming of the hymns to be included in the UM Hymnal has generated more heated discussion than prayerful consideration. May it not be so this time.

No comments: