Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Red Barn

We have now returned to South Carolina and Mother is now in a rehab facility. Praise the Lord!

In a variety of ways, it has been an interesting week in Ohio. Finally, the weather allowed us to stay at my parents’ home on Thursday night. It certainly seemed strange for Mother to be absent. However, I knew how to prepare supper, do some laundry and take care of other matters because she has taught me to do these things. Long before it was a popular feature, this home has had a gathering area at one end of the kitchen and once again we gathered there. We remembered, we discussed the present and even talked about the future. However, as I looked out the window, I realized that it was the red barn that announced that I was home. It has been the focal point of life on this farm for five generations, even on snowy days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are waxing Steinbeckian. Good for you. How near capacity must be your heart and your mind. Welcome to yet another "home". It was good to see you today. I hope that we all may be able to recognize our own Red Barns.