Monday, October 09, 2006

The School of the Pilgrim

Thirty years ago I knew a young music therapist named Brett Webb-Mitchell who was being called into ministry. Through mutual friends I have known parts of his journey since those days in Delaware. Also, I have read some of the Christian education books that he has written, but our paths had not crossed since 1980 until today. What a joy to be in his workshop and feel reconnected.

The School of the Pilgrim is now his ministry. Believing that the Christian life is a lifelong pilgrimage, he has created a Christian education model in which the learner participates in an intentional pilgrimage that allows God to break into his/her life in transforming ways.

As the metaphors of pilgrim and journey have been important to the understanding my own spirituality, I was enthralled with Brett’s presentation. However, I am not sure that I am ready to embrace all of his thinking. Nevertheless, the idea of the Christian life as a pilgrimage is an important one to me and one that I want to further develop. I plan to continue to be in dialogue with Brett about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I visited the "School" website and experienced an immediate memory flash of Chaucerian thought, which, of course, prompted me to caution anyone on a long, serious pilgrimage to avoid collecting too many suspect relics on the way.
Sometimes you end up carrying 500 pounds of bones from a 100 pound Saint. The danger in that is that all the other 50 people on the trek with you are carrying the same 500 pounds.