Sunday, October 01, 2006

Do This in Rembrance of Me

When our older son was about three or four years old, the matter of his participation in Holy Communion became the focus of family discussion. Ron had been a Lutheran and felt that one did not receive communion until catechism classes were completed. He felt that it was a matter of being able to understand the sacrament of communion. In response, our minister quietly asked, “Do you understand it?” What an important moment for us both. What had really been just a ritual of worship now became a time of living into the questions of this holy mystery.

Today as we celebrate World Communion Sunday I want our children to experience the time at the Table as a celebration of the sacred. Together, may we remember the sacrifice, fellowship, and care Jesus provided to all sorts of people when sharing a meal. May we give thanks for God’s love in our lives. May we pledge to share this gift that God gives us through Jesus. The clergy will wear their Children of the World stoles as signs of God’s grace known to peoples throughout the world and our connection to them through our faith. I will go to Little Church to talk about Holy Communion. Like Robert many years ago, they won’t understand much about this service. However, if they learn that that Christ welcomes them and that the bread and cup help them remember God’s love, I will know that another chapter of their faith story is being written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jean, for that affirmation. Yesterday I had placed breads on the altar representing countries from around the world. I also placed a globe beside the breads. For the Children's Moment, I invited the children to the altar where we identified the breads and located the countries each represented. When the time for communion came, the children were welcomed to the Lord's Table.

Last week, using the lectionary, I preached on the passage from Mark in which Jesus, while teaching the disciples in a house in Capernaum, called a child into their midst, took the child in His arms, and said, "Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me." In welcoming the children to the communion rail, I believe we were truly welcoming God who set the table for us.

Anonymous said...

When my first child was 2, I brought her to the rail at First Church to receive communion, not sure of "Methodist protocol." I was told by the Associate Pastor that all were welcome at the table. My daughter ate the bread, took the thimble-sized cup of juice, turned it up, slurped loudly, tapped the bottom of the cup as she held it to her lips, and groaned from the pleasure of the taste! Communion with gusto!

Perhaps with better manners, we should all approach the Lord's Table with such enthusiasm and thirst! Thank you, Jean, for once again reminding us that, truly, a little child shall lead. Bless you for your ministry!