Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sabbath Reflection

After being married, our first home was in Dayton, Ohio, the home of the Wright Brothers. However, Orville and Wilbur were before my time. The story I like to tell is that Erma Bombeck, Phil Donahue and I all started out in Dayton at the same time, the late 60’s. Erma wrote a weekly column in a suburban newspaper. The Dayton Daily News and national syndication came later. Phil was a radio personality and just beginning his talk show on a local TV channel. Of course, he also moved on to bigger and better things. Although my name is not recognized by the general public or my bank account has never looked like theirs, my life since Dayton has been interesting and rewarding, also. There certainly is a sense of richness when I reflect upon the fabric of the life that I am weaving and for this I give thanks. And, I trust that as Erma wrote in her last column:
“My deeds will be measured not by my youthful appearance, but by the concern
lines on my forehead. The laugh lines around my mouth and the chins from
seeing what can be done for those smaller than me or who have
fallen.”

No comments: