Tuesday, April 25, 2006

4-H

One of the more formative experiences in my life came through my participation in 4-H. It was a rite of passage in my home community to join a 4-H club at age 10. With the leadership of adult volunteers (primarily some of our mothers) we learned about sewing, cooking and other homemaking skills. In addition, the organizational structure taught us about leadership. We had officers and responsibilities in our local clubs. As teenagers we assisted with younger members, served as camp counselors and assumed major roles at the county fair. Because of my 4-H experience I was a home economics major at Ohio State University. I planned to be an extension agent and work with 4-H clubs. Instead of rural Ohio and Extension Service, I found myself in inner-city Dayton after graduation teaching welfare mothers homemaking skills. That's another part of my story.

To this day the 4-H pledge and motto come to mind and give direction to who I am.

PLEDGE I pledge my HEAD to clearer thinking
my HEART to greater loyalty
my HANDS to larger service
and my HEALTH to better living for my club, my community, my country and my world.

MOTTO
To make the best BETTER.

No comments: