Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter Solstice

For many during this season of joy, this shortest day is followed by the longest night when someone is missing from the family circle and there is an empty place at the table. The night is so very dark. This is the time we need to hear these words from Jesus: "I am the light of the world; anyone who follows me will not be walking in the dark but will have the light of life." John 8

Scarlett and Jane conducted A Service of Hope and Healing today for those who find themselves in this dark place. It was so helpful to those who attended. Some of the words of the closing hymn, Hymn of Promise were very comforting and lingering:
"...in the cold and snow of winter there's a spring that waits to be,
...there's a dawn in every darkness, bringing hope to you and me.
...from the past will come the future; what it holds, a mystery, unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see. "

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean,

I don't remember to check it often, but when I do, I so enjoy reading your blog.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I didn't think about it in time this year, but, if a "Blue Christmas" service is held next year, I hope we will extend a notification and invitation to those temporarily sheltered at places in our community like CASA. This is the kind of evangelism opportunity we should be pursuing--sharing the Gospel without focusing on membership.

Rev. Jean said...

George,
I like the way you think.

Jean