Sunday, December 04, 2005

Getting Ready for Christmas

For the past week I have ignored the boxes of Christmas decorations that have cluttered my home. Somehow I have not been able to get started decorating. Ron has put the lights in the windows and the outside decorations in place. As I arrive home each evening, I have enjoyed their welcome. But, I have procrastinated with my part of this annual task.

Then, I read the on-line Upper Room Advent Reflections for December 2 in which Elizabeth J. Canham writes:

"Let go!" says God. "That was then; this is now. Walk with me on the sacred ground of the present moment, and you will find me in some unexpected places."
With this came a moment of truth for me. When I unfold the tissue paper that protects precious ornaments, memories are also revealed. Wonderful memories of days gone by often give me an attack of melancholy and I yearn for past Christmases. From childhood days to those of Robert and Daniel, thoughts of events, places and people flood around me and I sometimes allow this to sadden me. Why? Perhaps this year’s Christmas will not offer the joy and hope as times past. Perhaps the story is so familiar that I can’t believe there is anything new to be told.

I believe in some ways waiting for Christmas seems always to call us into the soul's dark night and the heart's deep winter. It is a call to let go of what has been so that God can begin to prepare us to live in expectation and anticipation of today and tomorrow. Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: