Thursday, December 29, 2005

Trains

When Ron and I celebrated our first Christmas, we discovered that trains were important to our Christmas tradition. For Ron, this meant assembling an old Lionel train with a steam engine and a variety of cars under the Christmas tree. For me, it meant remembering train trips from Ohio to my grandparents in New York for some very special Christmas experiences. Although not theological, trains have become a symbol of Christmas in our home.

This year we have been able to carry forth this tradition. The old model train is entertaining our grandchildren. Although they did not travel by train, we are trying to make their Christmas an experience at our home one only grandparents can provide. In these few days, they have our patient attention and an extra dose of love. All of this is part of building what we hope are very special relationships….ones that don’t run off the track. May trains and what they have meant to us always be part of our Christmas.

There are some good directives to grandparenting through several sources. A Google search will reveal several including some good information from AARP. I also have enjoyed a book by Betty Cloyd about spiritual guidance by grandparents. This is available in our church library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a parent, I look at my parents, now grandparents, and wonder, when did they get so smart? I rmember some years ago reading a study that suggested the increased human lifespan was developed because children needed grandparents to watch over them while younger, more able parents were out hunting and gathering. I don't know if I agree with all of that, but it's interesting to contemplate. In any case, children are blessed by the attention and love of grandparents.