Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Walking thru Lent

Currently, I am meeting regularly with a person who is in a discernment process before seeking ordination in the Episcopal Church as a deacon. I am not exactly sure how my involvement with this came to be, but what a good experience it is for walking the Lenten path of the Cross. As this is not a set process, we rely on the Spirit to work in and through us. Gary decided to read the Book of Acts during Lent and I was prodded to do this, also. However, we agreed to do this in the manner of lectio divina as outlined in a previous blog. Reading the familiar words in this way is certainly opening our hearts and minds to new possibilities and understandings about what it means to be a deacon. In our world of despair, there is an enormous need for those who know the heart of God to reach out to care, to love, to heal and to offer hope. The promise of the Holy Spirit gives us assurance of being the faithful witnesses that we are called to be. In Acts the repeated links between prayer and the Holy Spirit known in a community of believers, help us accept the challenge of surrendering our lives to the ministry of the diaconate.

This holy season of Lent is passing quickly. I entered into it with dread as I was afraid to intentionally face some of things which seemed to be polluting my soul. Helping Gary find his way has forced me to listen to God and given me a new depth of understanding of my own call to ministry. I find myself at a place that will allow me to more fully enter into the mystery of the passion of Jesus and accept the way of the cross in my own life as Easter approaches. Thanks be to God!

No comments: