Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St Patrick's Day

St, Patrick’s Day evokes memories not only of my Irish ancestry, but also of a wonderful visit to Ireland in 1997. While reminiscing about this trip, I discovered the photo of me wandering through the cemetery at the Rock of Cashel that makes another reflective banner for this blog. Just as my great-grandparents traveled the narrow roads bordered by stone walls and green pastures to find their way to a new life, we, too, were on a journey of discovery. Fascinated by the culture, we explored cities to countryside to learn about a people who have contributed so much to the building of America. The deep and rich perspective of Celtic spirituality has become part of our listening to God as a result this experience and we continue to find God’s grace in the everyday images of humanity and creation expressed in Celtic writings.

This well-known prayer, modeled on the Breastplate hymn of St. Patrick, celebrates Christ in all things.

The Three who are over me,
The Three who are below me,
The Three who are above me here,
The Three who are above me yonder;
The Three who are in earth,
The Three who are in air,
The Three who are in heaven,
The Three who are in the great pouring sea

Lots to think about and celebrate today!

No comments: