Friday, March 20, 2009

Faithful Parents

In a recent effort to eliminate some of the clutter in my office, I have been reviewing, reorganizing and recycling (throwing or giving away) books, files and projects. Of course, it is hard to part with some things, so it is a slow process that involves a lot of remembering of past days. I have discovered a number of family ministry items that seem to be timeless. Finding ways to remind parents of their contribution to their child's faith development has always been a personal commitment of mine. The following talking points were in a presentation that I did once upon a time about what every child needs to grow in their faith:

-Parents who are comfortable with their faith, ones who read the Bible, pray with their children and use God language.

-Parents who help children make connections between faith and life.

-Participate as a family in the life of a congregation and honor sabbath.

-Have opportunities for faith-building experiences with other adults.

-Have time and space to ask questions about the mystery of God.

-Have opportunities to express themselves in music, art and word.

-Experience wonders of God's Creation.

-Have books to read and read to them.

-Know time, patience and love from those who surround them.

When these needs are met, a legacy of faith is passed on to the next generation. I know this because I had faithful parents.


1 comment:

George said...

I must confess I was less than completely faithful in fulfilling my responsibility as a parent, though I did in fact perform SOME of the suggestions in your excellent list. I think your prescription for parental guidance of a child's faith journey are so good I am sharing them with my own children for their use with my grandchildren. Thank you for sharing this wisdom.

By the way, is anyone reading your blog? Are they just not responding? Regardless, please don't stop. I love reading your posts.

George