Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snowbirds Have Arrived!

The snowbirds have once again migrated to Myrtle Beach. Each winter we welcome our friends from the North who come to enjoy our weather and golf. Over the years our Snowbird and Seagull Ministry at First Church has provided a sense of community for many of them. Locals also enjoy making new friends and participating in this fellowship time. Making sure that we continue to have a viable program is one of my responsibilities and since this is one of many programs that I am to make sure happens, I have had to practice what I preach. That is, I have had to establish a committee, define its tasks and delegate, delegate and delegate. It has been a joy to watch this particular group learn to take charge of meals, programs, golf and outings. Dabney, our program assistant, is also an important part of assuring and assisting these leaders in whatever need they have. All of this is to say, each of us – lay and clergy – can discover new ways of being effective servant leaders if we accept change and possibility in our lives. I am learning a lot from my older friends.

No comments: