Sunday, January 04, 2009

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

Matters that affect children always interest me, but my grandchildren give me more reason to be tuned in to what is being said and written about children’s well being. Thus, a recent commentary about the demise of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood on PBS caught my attention. Although Fred Rogers was often the basis for jokes and laughs, most of us realized that his gentle, caring manner taught our children more about healthy living than most any other television programming. His signature statement, “I like you just the way you are,” has enhanced self-esteem for several generations of children. In his absence, parents and teachers may need to be more attentive to doing this for today's children.

Danny Duncan Collum writes in Sojourners:
"Apparently there will never again be room in the mainstream of American culture for children's programming that is mostly about unquantifiable intangibles such as truth, beauty and love."

full commentary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up loving Mr. Rogers. My mom would often take me to the Neighborhood of Make Believe in Latrobe, PA. I always felt special riding the trolly and meeting the characters. As an adult, I still believe in Mr. Rogers. In my work folder, I carry a postcard with Mr. Rogers picture and the saying "You make each day a special day by just your being you". Each and every day I read the postcard and it never fails to take me back to my childhood.

Anonymous said...

Recently I read an article on worship that suggested Mr. Rogers has much to teach worshp planners. The author reminded folks that Mr. R. met his audience where they were, reassured them, and honored them while pointing to the great truths of human community. Furthermore, the structure... he comes in, changes shoes and outer garment, sings this song, etc., was comforting and and functioned as a frame on which other elements might stand.